School Consultation and Advocacy
Our practice is unique in that our doctors are available to provide direct school consultation and advocacy on behalf of your child or adolescent. School is your child or adolescent’s job, and if the data from their neuropsychological evaluation is not operationalized and put into action at school, its usefulness is diminished. The mission at our practice is to put assessment results into action.
We educate parents regarding Response to Intervention (RTI), 504 Plans, Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), and special education processes. We provide direct input and advocacy regarding school planning and programming. By consulting with the school and advocating on behalf of your child or adolescent, we are able to best help your child succeed at school, both short and long term.
- Data presentation and integration into school planning in a way that is customized and meaningful to your child or adolescent’s needs
- Understanding of the educational rights and provisions that affect your child or adolescent, in which we are well-versed
- Attendance at all school meetings, including 504 and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Meetings
- Collaboration with your child’s teachers, tutors, administrators, and school counselors
- Continued clinical and advocacy support throughout your child or adolescent’s academic career
We approach neuropsychological assessment from a modern perspective. This new and cutting edge approach involves customized assessments that are built specifically for your child or adolescent. We do not administer the same series of tests to every child and adolescent. Instead, we use a deductive approach to assessment that allows us assess the areas of functioning that are most relevant to your child or adolescent’s individual and current concerns. We also do not test your child or adolescent for many hours across one or two appointments. This approach only allows for a singular, often inaccurate “snapshot” of your child or adolescent. Instead, we create multiple testing sessions of shorter duration. This approach allows your child or adolescent to avoid the “fatigue factor,” which can seriously interfere with the assessment and its results. Moreover, it allows us to obtain a longitudinal perspective of your child’s functioning across time so that we obtain the best, most consistent diagnostic information regarding your child or adolescent’s functioning.
Assessment of Giftedness
Your child or adolescent may be talented academically while simultaneously experiencing frustration with learning. In addition, they may exhibit social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties which are difficult to explain. Intellectual and academic giftedness often comes with its own set of issues. We provide comprehensive assessments to identify your child’s giftedness, as well as those areas in need of further development.
For more information about our school consultation & assessment processes, please call NeuroHealth Arlington Heights for an appointment today. We are located near the Chicago, IL area in the northwest suburb of Arlington Heights.
School Consultation and Advocacy
It is important to operationalize a student’s test data at their job, which is school. School processes related to how students receive additional support can be confusing and overwhelming for parents. At our practice, we have over 25 years of experience in providing comprehensive, direct in-school consultation and advocacy on behalf of your child/adolescent. We believe in a collaborative team approach to help your child/adolescent receive the support they need to flourish within the school system. Our school advocacy services are provided by our doctors and include:
- Data presentation and integration into school planning in a way that is customized and meaningful to your child/adolescent’s needs
- We are well-versed in the educational rights and provisions that affect your child/adolescent
- Attendance at all types of school meetings, including 504 plan and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meetings
- Collaboration with your child’s teachers and administrators, as well as other school staff
- We follow your child/adolescent throughout their academic career as an advocate – through college if desired
Case Management and Referrals
Many parents whose children/adolescents have undergone psychological / neuropsychological testing often are unsure as to how to utilize such information to obtain needed interventions. It is our philosophy that testing results are most useful when they are put to work for your child/adolescent. Accordingly, our practice provides treatment options and school advocacy services, referral services to other professionals, and a collaborative case management approach to best serve your family.
What Is Case Management?
Case management involves communication and advocacy on behalf of your child/adolescent outside of face-to-face time in the office. Our clinicians directly communicate and collaborate with other professionals your child/adolescent currently sees, or those to whom they have been referred as a result of the testing process.
To Whom Do We Refer?
We have a comprehensive referral base of professionals, including neurologists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, pediatric sub-specialists, occupational, speech, and physical therapists, and specialized tutors.
What Our Approach Means to Your Family
Our comprehensive “systems” approach means that when your child/adolescent receives any of our services, you have a team of professionals focusing on the wellness of your child/adolescent both inside and outside of the therapy/testing room. This means that your child/adolescent’s overall welfare does not begin or end with our face-to-face interactions. We work with you as a parent to create an extended, collaborative team that includes teachers and other school staff, physicians, other specialized healthcare providers, and tutors if required.
We believe that this unique approach to testing, treatment, and advocacy works in the best interests of your child/adolescent for their long-term development and helps to maximize their potential for success.
Our Assessment Process
We approach psychological and neuropsychological testing from a modern perspective. We provide customized assessments that are designed specifically for your child/adolescent. We do not administer the same “battery” of tests to every child/adolescent. Instead, we use a deductive approach to assessment that allows us to assess the areas of functioning that are most relevant to your child/adolescent’s areas of concern.
We also do not test your child/adolescent for extended periods of time during one or two appointments. This approach to testing reveals a “snapshot” of your child / adolescent. Instead, we test over multiple sessions of shorter duration. Our approach allows your child/adolescent to avoid “fatigue factor,” which can interfere with obtaining accurate results. Moreover, our approach allows us to obtain a longitudinal perspective of your child’s functioning across time so that we obtain the most consistent diagnostic information regarding your child / adolescent’s functioning.
What We Offer
- Neuropsychological, psychological, and developmental assessment of children, adolescents, college students, and adults.
- Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of: Neurodevelopmental, neurocognitive, neurobehavioral, social, and emotional issues resulting from inattention, hyperactivity, learning disabilities,
executive function, giftedness, depression, anxiety, OCD, Asperger’s, Autism, or other Neurodevelopmental Disorders.
- School Consultation and Advocacy is our strength.
- Assessment of and advocacy for college students exhibiting academic struggles.
- Expertise in assessing the impact of concussions, brain injuries, seizures, and other brain-related disorders relative to intellectual, academic, social, emotional, and behavioral functionality.
- Solution-oriented treatment for children, adolescents, adults, and their families. Group therapy is also available.
- Referrals to, and case management collaboration with other professionals as needed.
- Most insurance plans accepted.
- Evening and weekend appointments are available.